Overall, replacing missing teeth is highly important to maintain the appearance and function of your smile. Replacing missing teeth can prevent serious dental issues in the future while preserving oral functioning and improving your smile. Replacing missing teeth with crowns and bridges can fix or prevent several other dental issues. In this blog, we will discuss what crowns and bridges are and why your dentist may suggest you replace your missing teeth with them.
A Dental Crown
A dental crown is a tooth-shaped cap that is placed over an existing tooth. It is colored according to the color of your natural teeth. Dental crowns can save a tooth, enhance your smile, and even help anchor restorations. Dental crowns help in correcting issues related to visual bite alignment, small gaps between teeth, misshapen or discolored teeth, or even minor flaws.
A bridge is usually used when only one or two teeth are missing. You need to have a gap on both sides of the teeth to receive a bridge. The teeth on both sides are shaped, and the bridge is made with two crowns on the sides connected to the replacement tooth in the middle.
7 Issues Crowns And Bridges Can Fix…
They are a great solution for various dental issues. Some of the problems they can fix, prevent or manage include:
- Root canal: Needing a crown after a root canal depends highly on the location of the tooth in the mouth—teeth towards the back of the mouth like molars and premolars are needed more for chewing, and generally require crowns, where incisors or canines which aren’t needed for chewing don’t always require crowns. The crown would protect and strengthen your molar and restore its functionality and structural integrity. The crown would keep the tooth from breaking or cracking.
- Large fillings because of deep decay: If you have an old filling that is more than 2/3 the width of your tooth, or a filling that is damaged or failing, it may be a good idea to replace it with a dental crown. Crowns provide better protection than fillings and can prevent cracking and other similar complications.
- Repair enamel: When it comes to restoring teeth with eroded enamel, most dentists will recommend placing a dental crown when a significant portion of the natural tooth structure is worn, damaged, and/or decayed. Crowns and bridges can help correct the issue and restore your tooth’s structure, size, and appearance.
- Severely damaged teeth: If your teeth are chipped, cracked, broken or severely damaged, dental crowns are the only option. If filling, inlays or veneers cannot fix the teeth, you are a candidate for a crown or bridge. If the damaged teeth are in danger of falling apart, the crown will strengthen it, hold it in place, and prevent tooth infection.
- Misaligned teeth: Thankfully, with a dental crown or bridge, your dentist can fix your tooth’s appearance, correct misalignment issues, and restore confidence in your smile. A dental bridge is effective for closing the space between teeth following tooth loss due to trauma or infection. While veneers only cover the front side of your teeth, dental crowns will cover your entire tooth. This means that dental crowns can be used to cover multiple crooked teeth in order to give them a straightened appearance.
- Speech and pronunciation: Slurring and the inability to make certain sounds can occur with tooth loss, especially those that are made when the tongue touches the teeth. Front teeth are essential for forming and pronouncing certain words or sounds. Getting a dental crown or bridge will help restore your teeth and fix your pronunciation issues.
- Difficulty chewing: Many of us don’t think twice about biting into a crisp apple or enjoying a juicy steak. But you won’t take eating your favorite foods for granted if damaged or missing teeth make it impossible to chew without pain. Crowns and bridges strengthen the teeth and restore their biting and chewing pressure and eliminate pain.
Each procedure restores missing teeth. Which option is the best depends on the needs of each individual patient and the subsequent recommendations of their dentist.
About Torbeck Dental
Torbeck Dental treats every patient with dignity and excellent care. We are highly trained dental professionals with exceptionally friendly and helpful service. We understand that for many, visiting a dentist can be a stressful experience so our comfortable surroundings and compassionate staff will ease any fears you may have. We are here to help you achieve your happiest and healthiest smile! Our dental team are a group of experienced professionals using the latest treatments. Our team has the professional experience to realize that there is no such thing as one-size-fits-all treatment, so we never use a one-size-fits-all approach to your dental plan. We provide quality and personalized oral health care while keeping your individuality in mind. Our goal is to improve and maintain your oral health so you can smile with confidence!