In a world that never stops, quick meals and caffeinated beverages tend to be the go-to. With busy schedules and a to-do list that’s a mile long, it may seem impossible to squeeze in time to properly care for your oral health. You may be worried about having bad breath so it’s important you have a plan to cure your bad breath in a jiffy.
Why Does Your Breath Stink?
In order to figure out a solution, you must first understand why the problem occurs. Bad breath can be the result of many things. Food build up can cause bacteria to form between your teeth, near your gums, and on your tongue. This bacteria combined with food debris can give you bad breath. Understanding the cause is one of the best preventative methods.
- You notice your mouth is dry. If that’s the case, deficient saliva may be the root of the problem. Salvia helps clear our mouths of food particles. If there is not enough, food could be lingering your mouth producing bacteria that will create an odor.
- Foods like garlic, onion, and dairy can cause bad breath.
- The use of tobacco can stain your teeth, aggravate your gums, and limit your ability to taste foods which can in turn cause halitosis.
- Infection or disease, such as a sinus infection or acid re-flux may lead to odorous breath.
- Poor dental hygiene can lead to tooth decay and gum disease which can result in bad breath.
Tips for Odorless Breath
It might not be convenient to fit the full routine of brush, floss, rinse after every meal but that does not mean you shouldn’t be doing something when you’re on the go to keep your breath smelling fresh. Here are some easy solutions to incorporate into your daily routine
- Stay hydrated. Drinking more water will keep your mouth from getting dry and helps to wash out food particles and bacteria.
- Chewing on parsley, fennel, anise seeds, and other herbs is known to eliminate bad breath.
- Eat apples and oranges for your daily snack. Oranges contain vitamin C which helps you produce more saliva and apples neutralize the smell of garlic.
- Green tea is great at eliminating bacteria. Drinking this after your meal will prevent you from having bad breath.
- Mints and gum can help you produce more saliva and keep mouth from becoming dry. It is important to your oral health that you only chew options that are sugar-free.
- Breath sprays were created to hide your bad breath temporarily.
- Stow away a travel kit that includes a toothbrush, toothpaste, floss, mouthwash, and a bottle of water. You’ll be able to take care of your mouth anywhere.
Bad Breath Products that Work
While on the go remedies are not nearly as adequate as your typical oral care routine, they are still beneficial. These products can help you get rid of your bad breath and can be stowed away in your purse, pocket, console, or desk.
- Tongue Scrapers – These are found in drug stores and are used to remove food particles and bacteria from your tongue that may have led to bad breath.
- Mini Toothbrushes – These are easy to keep on hand and some even come with toothpaste on them and are disposable so you can just toss them when you’re done.
- Bad Breath Sprays – These fit in your pocket and can mask the odor until you can follow up with your usual routine.
When to Consult Your Dentist
If your bad breath persists, that may mean that you have an underlying condition. This could be anything from tooth decay to gum disease which can result in chronic bad breath that will require more than a quick fix. Going to your dentist every six months for routine exams and cleanings will help you avoid developing chronic conditions and aid you in maintaining a healthy smile.
About Torbeck Dental
Torbeck Dental treats every patient with dignity and excellent care. We are highly-trained dental professionals with exceptionally friendly and helpful service. We understand that for many, visiting a dentist can be a stressful experience so our comfortable surroundings and compassionate staff will ease any fears you may have. We are here to help you achieve your happiest and healthiest smile! Our dental team are a group experienced professionals using the latest treatments. Our team has the professional experience to realize that there is no such thing as one-size-fits-all treatment, so we never use a one-size-fits-all approach to your dental plan. We provide quality and personalized oral health care while keeping your individuality in mind. Our goal is to improve and maintain your oral health so you can smile with confidence!