Do you wake up with a desert-dry mouth or sore throat every morning? Do you wake several times during the night, desperate for a bit of cool water over your sticky dry tongue, gums, and throat? Maybe you’ve got bad breath that doesn’t go away despite brushing, flossing, and using mouthwash exactly the way you should. Or you might be noticing more tooth decay, cavities, and other dental problems than you’ve ever had before. If you suffer from dry mouth, you are not alone. It is safe to say that millions of people experience dry mouth at some point. Dry mouth is annoying and sometimes painful. We would like to give you a few suggestions to prevent dry mouth while sleeping and suggest ideas on finding some relief.
What Is Dry Mouth
Dry mouth, also called xerostomia, is a health condition that affects the salivary glands in the mouth. It makes you unable to produce enough saliva to keep your mouth wet and is characterized by a lack of saliva. You may produce some saliva but not enough or you may struggle to produce any saliva at all.
Causes Of Dry Mouth
First you need to understand the causes and symptoms of dry mouth. Dry mouth isn’t a disease but a symptom of other conditions.
Dry mouth at night can be caused by several things:
- Snoring or breathing through the mouth due to clogged or inflamed nasal passages
- Using mouth ware such as bite splints or dental retainers
- Using a CPAP machine due to sleep apnea
- Medication use
- Radiation treatment
- And sometimes even diseases like diabetes or Parkinson’s
The most common symptoms of dry mouth are feeling thirsty, having a dry sticky mouth, chapped lips, tingling in your mouth and tongue, and bad breath.
Preventing Dry Mouth While Sleeping
There are several things you can do to prevent dry mouth while sleeping. You might try just one remedy or a combination of them in order to find some relief. The best cure from dry mouth is to address any health issues.
However, there are several options for relieving dry mouth and most are as simple as some lifestyle changes:
- Use a humidifier at night to add moisture to the air
- Drink plenty of water throughout the day to stay hydrated
- Use a fluoride toothpaste and/or a fluoride rinse
- Use a moisturizing dry mouth mouthwash and avoid those with alcohol
- Avoid spicy, acidic, and sugary foods before bed
- Limit or eliminate alcohol and caffeine, as well as tobacco and drug use
- Use a dry mouth moisturizing spray
- Chew sugar-free gum
- Use nasal sprays or strips to open the nose for better breathing
- Avoid over-the-counter antihistamines and decongestants
- Use saliva substitutes
- At night, have water or ice chips available beside your bed in case you wake up parched
- Keep good oral hygiene habits to reduce the chance of bacteria growth, cavities, and gum disease
Dry mouth is a difficult condition to experience, but the good news is that you don’t have to do it on your own. Dental professionals are experts in the most up-to-date and effective treatment options available and are ready to help you. They will walk you through what they can do to help relieve your dry mouth and what you can expect at your dental appointment.
Contact us (859) 586-7900 for more information or to make an appointment!
About Torbeck Dental
Torbeck Dental treats every patient with dignity and excellent care. We are highly trained dental professionals with exceptionally friendly and helpful service. We understand that for many, visiting a dentist can be a stressful experience so our comfortable surroundings and compassionate staff will ease any fears you may have. We are here to help you achieve your happiest and healthiest smile! Our dental team are a group of experienced professionals using the latest treatments. Our team has the professional experience to realize that there is no such thing as one-size-fits-all treatment, so we never use a one-size-fits-all approach to your dental plan. We provide quality and personalized oral health care while keeping your individuality in mind. Our goal is to improve and maintain your oral health so you can smile with confidence!