A recent study, published in Current Oral Health Reports, found that probiotics appear to help manage gum disease and cavities by restoring the balance of good bacteria in the mouth, which isn’t always achieved by traditional dental treatments. New probiotic mouthwashes and toothpaste are being marketed as a way to remove bad bacteria without harming the good bacteria in your mouth. Probiotics may have more benefits than you realize.
What Are Probiotics?
Probiotics are live microorganisms promoted with claims that they provide health benefits when consumed, generally by improving or restoring the gut flora. They are helpful, primarily in terms of digestion because they help with gut health. There are two primary types of bacteria that have been identified as helpful. They are Lactobacillus commonly found in fermented foods like yogurt and help with diarrhea and digestion of lactose. And bifidobacterium usually found in dairy products, this probiotic is known to reduce symptoms of inflammation of the digestive system.
How Do Probiotics Work?
Probiotics are made of good live bacteria and/or yeasts that naturally live in your body. You constantly have both good and bad bacteria in your body. When you get an infection, there are more bad bacteria, knocking your system out of balance. Good bacteria helps eliminate extra bad bacteria, returning the balance. Probiotic supplements are a way to add good bacteria to your body. If you have lost good bacteria, your doctor may suggest probiotics to correct the loss.
What Are the Health Benefits of Probiotics?
The health benefits of probiotics extend beyond the digestive system. The following are 9 health benefits of probiotics…
- Probiotics help balance the friendly bacteria in your digestive system.
- Probiotics can help prevent and treat diarrhea.
- Probiotic supplements can improve some mental health conditions.
- Certain probiotic strains can help keep your heart healthy.
- Probiotics may reduce the severity of certain allergies and exzema.
- Probiotic may help you fight colds and allergies by improving your immune system and reduce inflammation.
- There is research to show probiotics lower bad cholesterol and blood pressure.
- Probiotics can help with vaginal yeast infection.
- Using probiotics for oral health can help prevent plaque, bad breath, and oral cancer, and inflamed gums.
Products That Contain Probiotics
There are also many supplements in the form of tablets, capsules or powders. Some oral health products contain probiotics like mouthwash and toothpaste. Probiotic mouthwash prevents plaque buildup. Probiotic toothpaste rids your mouth of bad bacteria while preserving stood bacteria. There are many foods that contain probiotics. The foods are milk, soft cheese, sauerkaut, and sourdough bread.
Are Their Side Effects From Probiotics?
Good bacteria is generally considered safe because it is already in the human body. For most people ingesting probiotics will have little to no side effects. However, there can be some side effects that may occur in the first week or so.
- Headaches – When protein-rich foods are fermented, they can produce biogenic amines like antihistamine and tryptamine
- Allergy Symptoms – If you develop allergy-like symptoms after you start taking probiotics, don’t stress. It doesn’t necessarily mean you’re allergic to them—you might just be sensitive to histamines.
- Diarrhea – Your body should sort itself out within a week or two and you’ll be back to normal in most cases.
Bloating and Gas: You knew we would end up here. Yes, if you’re experiencing some gastrointestinal issues after taking your probiotics you’re not alone. It means your gut is working overtime getting used to the influx of new bacteria, and things are gonna get gassy. Sorry. Stick with your probiotics until your body finds its groove and you’ll be glad you did.
Should I use Probiotics for Oral Health?
Some studies suggest that probiotics can reduce symptoms of gingivitis. Gingivitis is also known as gum disease. It can cause swollen, tender gums and sensitive teeth. The researchers found that the gingivitis symptoms had improved the most in the group taking the highest dose of probiotics. Brushing and flossing daily, eating right and visiting your dentist every six months are the best ways to keep your mouth healthy.
About Torbeck Dental
Torbeck Dental treats every patient with dignity and excellent care. We are highly-trained dental professionals with exceptionally friendly and helpful service. We understand that for many, visiting a dentist can be a stressful experience so our comfortable surroundings and compassionate staff will ease any fears you may have. We are here to help you achieve your happiest and healthiest smile! Our dental team are a group experienced professionals using the latest treatments. Our team has the professional experience to realize that there is no such thing as one-size-fits-all treatment, so we never use a one-size-fits-all approach to your dental plan. We provide quality and personalized oral health care while keeping your individuality in mind. Our goal is to improve and maintain your oral health so you can smile with confidence!